CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gumdrops

Every Christmas I try to make something that is both festive and edible. Last year it was the peppermint cake on the cover of Southern Living. This year, it is gumdrop trees. When I see gumdrop trees I always think of my Grandaddy. He LOVES gumdrops and taught us as kids to love them, too. He will never admit it, but he loved making gumdrop trees just as much as we did. He always made his first so that we would have a "model" and then help us make ours. It was a special time for me growing up. It's funny how you take those moments for granted. I didn't realize just how special those memories were until I was grown. Funny, isn't it?


This weekend was "company party" weekend. Kraft's party was Friday night and Dr Pepper's was Saturday night. In keeping with custom, I held the Kraft Pre-Party at my house. The girls did make-up and jewelry before the guys arrived. The only difference this year was that I didn't get all gussied up (as I now work for Dr Pepper)...but it was fun to be with the others and help them get all glammed. Here is a picture of them right as they were walking out the door to go. What you don't see is me and 2 other neighbors dressed down and about to make the gumdrop trees :) Melissa, John, and Shelley were making funny faces in the background (I didn't get a snapshot as my camera battery died...go figure!). Aren't they a good lookin' bunch???

L-R
Eric & Jazmin, Ross & Courtney and Brian & Julie.

My company party pics are off-limits right now as I am not sure how they all feel about making the blog. Since it was mostly my managers and senior management in the pictures, I don't think I need to chance that possible career suicide.
I did, however, make it to church Saturday night before the DrP party. In a word? Heaven. The service was perfect. It got me deeper into the "real" Christmas Spirit. It was just what I needed after a quite emotional and stressful week. You can check out this link to hear the sermon. (click on Saturday Night) It was on Joy. (The Joy candle was lit on the Advent wreath). I do wish that Fellowship had recorded the entire service as all of you would enjoy it. The music team arranges each piece and they do such a nice job breathing life into common hymns and songs. It is indescribable. However, to get a taste of what it's like you can listen to Casting Crowns and Travis Cottrell's Christmas albums.....but Saturday night was better than that.
Today my day to host Football. I made a big pot of my Aunt Carolyn's Chicken-n-Dumplins. They turned out really good, but not near as good as Aunt C's! Even the kids ate them up....I was stunned!
I hope that each of you have a great week. May each day bring you deeper into the "real" Christmas Spirit.

2 comments:

amy said...

love the gumdrop trees-- may have to let Payton and drew make one for the holidays too. Sounds like you had another great weekend. e-mail me your address, please :), so i can send you a CHRISTmas card/baby announcement too. going to take the picture of CHRISTmas card and announcement all at the hospital.

amypaytondreww@yahoo.com

hope you have a BLESSED week
amy

Joddie said...

my great grandmother use to get the plastic, clear tree with the empty limbs,then stick the gumdrops to that. I remember that plain little simple tree meaning the most because she did it and it was so pretty to me. The tree's are VERY PRETTY! I'm glad you are keeping treasured memories going. So glad the service re-lit the spirit within you.
Love you girl!