CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Springtime

"In the springtime, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." ~ Margaret Atwood


Over the last 21 days, it has stormed here everyday! I feel waterlogged and have almost sprouted webbed fingers and feet! But somewhere in there, I got the wild hair to give my backyard, patio, and flowerbed a little "lift." It was actually spurred by my trip to Mobile... the afternoon I landed in NW Arkansas, I headed straight to Home Depot and bought flowers. The following week, I "shopped" online and found the perfect swing, chairs, tables, and rug. After feeling the tug all that week, I finally went to Lowe's on Thursday afternoon (in between rainstorms) and bought 4 whiskey barrels and vegetable plants. Realizing I over bought on vegetables half way through planting, I went back and bought 2 more whiskey barrels and even more flowers! Vegetables that I planted: 4 tomato, 2 crooked neck squash, 1 straight neck squash, 2 zucchini, 2 green bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper. In a few weeks they will either be vegetables or victims....we'll just have to wait and see!

The swing has only been hung a week, but I have spent more time on my patio this week than I have in the 2.5 years I've lived here! Oh, I cannot wait to see what the summer has in store!

Here are a few pics....enjoy!


Back Patio
(tables will be here shortly...)
The Garden
Dahlia's and (something else that I can't remember)
are planted in between each whiskey barrel of vegetables

closeups of the Dahlias

Zinnia's

Red Gerber Daisy (my favorite)

The birdhouse...need advice on what to plant behind it...suggestions???
Front yard - and street view of the garden on the left.
You really cannot appreciate this. It took me TWO days and TWO electric hedge trimmers to "tame" this jungle!

This snapdragon was planted 3 summers ago in a different spot...it keeps coming back!

1 of 3 planters across the front of my house



close up of "filler" flower. (that's what the tag said...)

Zinnia's (by MEK)
The highlight of my trip to Mobile a few weekends ago was visiting my friend, Mary Elizabeth's, art studio at her home. She is an AWESOME artist and her paintings just have that certain pop of color. Check out her blog, Painting A Day.

9 comments:

Joddie said...

When you got unwaterlogged, you went for it didn't you girl! What a BEAUTIFUL job you've done. You are so creative...your place is popping now!!!! It just feels more like home when there is a swing, chairs and flowers in the yard. Again, great job...you go girl!

amywelborn said...

Girl, you've been working hard!

Love that painting!

Shelley Hopkins said...

Looking good! I love the Gerber Daisy, it's one of my favorites too. we were gone to Florida all last week while it rained. Needless to say, our yard looks like a jungle. We'll be trying to tame ours this weekend!

amy said...

LOVE it!!!!! LOve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A GREAT BACK YARD. THE SWING WITH THE RUG MAYBE MY FAVORITE. I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO ENJOY IT
THE FLOWERS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND THE PAINTING

Anonymous said...

Good work girl. Yard work is fun but so hard! Your painting looks nice in that big frame. I worked on my yard all last weekend because I was having mothers day at my house. I have blooming hydrangeas and oleanders and sage now...and a few lemons on my tree. Hope you week has not been too hard. I turned in my big paper just yesterday. Am now really relaxing for the first time since Christmas...be well love mek

Heather said...

you most def need some yellow confederate jasmine going on behind the birdhouse on the fence!!

Stephenie said...

I just bought white jasmine to go on the fence....(recommendation from my Mother....and now Heather :)...great minds think alike). However, I only bought 1 jasmine and think that I will need another. It just may be yellow confederate jasmine.

Barbara said...

White confederate jasmine would be my choice--it smells so good. You now have a "happy" place. I love it.

Heather S. said...

Unbelievable! I KNOW how much work you've done in your yard! You know I just love the gerber daisy :) Brings back memories of H'burg. I saw a beautiful purple clematis today - that would be beautiful w/your jasmine. Check out my facebook for Jenni's blog address and pictures of her clematis - I posted it today. I miss you & wish I was there to enjoy a glass of wine on your beautiful patio...