CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Today was THE Day...and an update

Well, today was "the day." Let me explain...last Friday, I planted Mandevilla in one of the corners of my fence. When I finished, I stepped back to admire my work when something caught my eye and nearly scared me to death! This is what I saw...

You might imagine my surprise to see 4 wide yellow mouths staring at me. This bird's nest is eyelevel in my fence, but hadn't noticed it before. I had noticed while I was planting my Mandevilla that a bird kept circling around me, but didn't think much about it at the time...until I stepped back and saw her babies.

I have been obsessed with these baby birds ever since the discovery. Every day I have gone out to the fence and checked on them and have been amazed at how quickly they have grown. Tuesday, I took another picture because the babies had gotten so much bigger....




It has been fun watching them...until today. Today when I walked by the nest, it was empty.



Here is Mama Bird watching me plant the Mandevilla....guess she was making sure that I didn't harm her babies.


Some of you have *jokingly* asked about my proverbial green thumb. I am PROUD to report that everything is still growing and alive. Here's the proof:





The garden....YES! I can taste the fresh veggies now...


Remember the infamous snapdragon that keeps coming back in a different location that I blogged about a few weeks ago? Well, here it is in full bloom. Isn't it pretty?? This picture doesn't do the bright "neon" colors justice.


My big pot of zinnias and the white "filler" that Mom gave me (can't think of what it's called)


My Dahlia that I just knew wouldn't make it...is in it's 3rd blooming rotation


Here is the area that I was struggling with what to plant. I am proud to report that I planted a white Confederate Jasmine (thanks, Mom). I cannot tell how it's doing, but it has not wilted or turned brown....we'll see what the future holds.

*sidenote: I am a little concerned about it's future potential because my yard is nothing but clay and rock. Of course I doubled the size of the planting hole and filled with compost. I planted according to the instructions...only time will tell.

My yard has become a peaceful place for me. Yes, you read that correctly...it is quite the turn of events of the long history of the worlds most dis-interested/worst gardner! I have always detested working in the yard. I had no interest in it as a kid or as an adult. I turn, I never could keep anything alive. (I was the girl that couldn't grow ivy!) But despite all my gardening shortcomings, I've always attempted to grow flowers. It's what Southern ladies do in the spring...you just grow flowers. Whether it was at my apartment in Mobile or my condo in Boise, I always tried. I would start out with good intentions, but by the end of the summer, everything had long been dead. Since moving to Arkansas and having a "real house", I always have made sure my front flower bed looked good..whatever it took. Truthfully, it was about all I could handle. Looking back, I was just not interested in caring about it before. However, this year it just clicked. Growing something just seemed to come naturally. I was so eager! I couldn't buy enough to plant. I made about 5 trips to Lowe's and Home Depot to get things and every time bought more flowers, whiskey barrels, or something to plant! Call is maturity, coming of age, nesting, or just plain ole stress, but either way I LOVE gardening this year. It relaxes me and makes me happy. The truth is, I really don't care if anyone else sees it or not. Yes, I would like for others to enjoy it, but at the end of the day, it is mine and I am excited to see it flourish. I feel like I have accomplished something...and I can see it with my own eyes.
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

These were the bright and shining faces of my first patio guests. Let me explain...on Saturday night of Memorial Day Weekend, a few neighbors came over for a cookout. I had big plans for the adults sitting on the patio and the kids playing in the yard. Well....thanks to a storm coming up right when we were about to eat, the kids stayed on the patio and the adults stayed inside. Not exactly the way I had planned it, but it all worked out in the end. Right after this picture was taken, ALL of these kids played out in the rain and got soaking wet. It was so fun watching them play and have a good time...despite the rain and soggy ground.
On Sunday night, another group of friends came over for dinner. My camera never made a debut, but towards the end of the night, we all found Tommy sitting on my side table "talking" on the phone. Oh he had a great conversation and we all had a good laugh. You can tell from the picture that he really enjoyed being the center of all our attention...never phased him one bit!

4 comments:

amywelborn said...

Your flowers look AWESOME! I noticed that snapdragon when I was at your house and its beautiful!

Joddie said...

BEAUTIFUL flowers! It's something about aging and having your own place that kicks this in. Your green thumb has truly been working and the baby birds were sooo cute! Mama must have gotten tired of you "visiting" around her home..you took some really good pictures..must be practicing :)

Lorrie said...

My green thumb still hasn't kicked in! This gives me hope that maybe one day it will come. Everything looks awesome. LOVE the story with the baby birds!

Barbara said...

Things are looking great-and did I mention--do you want to join the garden club??